Vincennes University is proud to be Indiana's designated recipient of federal grant funding from the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) to provide assistance in the training and retraining of Indiana’s miners. The VU program was initiated in October 2005 for miners in all segments of the mining industry including coal, sand and gravel, cement, crushed stone, dimension limestone, gypsum, shale and clay. This program serves as the primary and reliable source of mine safety and health training for Indiana's miners and mining contractors.
VU's Mining Program provides the first 32 hours of required training for new underground miners and the first 24 hours of required training for new surface miners. In addition MSHA requires an 8-hour Annual Refresher class for all miners. This training too can be delivered through our group of MSHA-certified instructors. Our instructors have years of experience in mine safety and health. All of our instruction has been approved by and adheres strictly to the requirements set forth by the Mine Safety and Health Administration under the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 30. Training is accomplished through classroom instruction on VU's campuses as well as on mine sites located throughout Indiana. (Please see our Schedules page for class dates and locations)
Training Options (Please see our Training Options page for more information)
- Annual Refresher training for underground and surface miners that complies with Title 30 CFR, Parts 46 and 48;
- Initial and Annual Refresher Supervisory First Aid training for surface and underground supervisors, miners, and contractors;
- Annual Electrical Recertification;
- Initital training for electrical certification for surface and underground miners;
- New Miner training for surface miners for Title 30 CFR, Parts 46 and 48;
- New Miner training for underground miners for Title 30 CFR, Part 48;
- Workshops, seminars, and events (on and off campus) to enhance to the skill-, safety-, and compentency-level of Indiana's mining workforce;
- Train the Trainer courses.
Additional Offerings include:
- Training Plan development
- General workplace safety and health consultation
- Video Dissemination Services
- Training Manual Development
- Program Evaluation
The Vincennes University Mining Program is located in Room 133 of the Gibson County Center for Advanced Manufacturing and Logistics, 8100 S US 41, Ft. Branch, IN 47648. The Mining Program office number is (812) 888-5031 and the fax number is (812) 888-2883.