Vincennes University is proud to be Indiana's designated recipient of a federal grant issued by the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). This grant supports the training and retraining of miners as required by MSHA regulations. VU began statewide training in October, 2005 for miners in the coal and other mining industries including sand & gravel, cement, crushed stone, dimension limestone, gypsum, shale and clay. This program serves as a primary and reliable source of mine safety and health training for Indiana's miners and contractors who work on mine property.
VU's Mining Program provides the first 40 hours of required training for new underground mine employees and 24 hours of required training for new surface mine employees. Additionally, an 8-hour "annual refresher" class must be completed yearly by all miners. Training is delivered by MSHA-certified instructors with extensive professional backgrounds in mine safety and health. Instruction adheres strictly to the requirements set forth by the federal standards as required by the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 30. Training is accomplished through classroom instruction on VU's campus as well as on mine sites located throughout Indiana.
- annual refresher training for underground and surface miners that complies with 30 CFR Part 48 and Part 46;
- initial and refresher supervisor first aid training for surface and underground miners and contractors;
- annual electrical recertification;
- initial training for electrical certification for surface and underground miners
- new miner training for surface miners for 30 CFR Parts 48 and 46;
- new miner training for underground miners required under Title 30 CFR, Part 48;
- workshops, seminars, and events (on- and off-campus) to enhance the skill-, safety-, and competency-level of Indiana’s mining workforce.
Other available assistance
- training plan development
- Part 47 HazCom plan development
- general workplace safety and health consultation
Looking for the Mining Technology Associate Degree (A.A.S.)? Visit the Mining Technology page: http://www.vinu.edu/content/mining
The Vincennes University Mining Program is located in Room 133 of the Gibson County Center for Advanced Manufacturing and Logistics in Ft. Branch, Indiana. The Mining Program office number is (812) 888-5031 and the fax number is (812) 888-2883.
Philip F. Pirkle
Mining Program Director
Kristen L. Phillips
Mining Program Coordinator